The curriculum delivered during the Maritime Active Shooter Response course covers the topics identified below. These are the minimum training requirements necessary to prepare LE personnel for Active Shooter/Active Threat scenarios. These topics generally represent the key areas for an successful Active Shooter response.
· Initial response to an active threat in a maritime environment
· Handling suspects with visible weapons
· Rapid response tactics in the maritime environment
· Door entry and room clearing
· Active threat considerations in the maritime environment
· Clear and cover danger areas on land and vessels
· Safe weapons handling for tactical operations both land based and maritime
· Contact and Cover techniques for tactical applications
· Tactical use of cover and concealment both land based and maritime
· Coordination of contact teams in the maritime environment
· Non-traditional response techniques to save lives land based and maritime
· Proper body movement techniques in tactical applications in the maritime environment
· Search and rescue teams in the maritime environment
The course includes practical exercises to apply tactics, techniques, and procedures in a given maritime scenario. At least two scenarios must simulate a situation that could occur in a shipboard environment. The courses will not only be able to broadly address the above 13 topics, but also deliver them in a train-the-trainer format where students will be able to deliver the training to others upon completion of the course.